Kahali Johnson, from Newark, returned to his home on Monday night to discover that his wife and the mechanic she was having sex with were dead inside their family’s garage.
According to local police authorities, the cause of death for both victims was carbon monoxide poisoning.
It was reported that the 39-year-old wife, Tameka Hargrave, was paying the 59-year-old mechanic for work on her car with sex, in a bizarre barter deal.
Johnson said that he first realized something was wrong when he smelled a strong odor of gas inside the apartment, prompting him to investigate the source.
Catherine Adams, Newark police spokeswoman, said officers turned up to the apartment complex just before 8:45 PM at 18th and New Fairview avenues after receiving a distress call of “sick or injured persons”.
“As I tried to step to open the last garage door, I see the mechanic, he’s laid out,” Johnson said.
“She’s just a few feet away, she’s laid out. And pretty much I had to call 911, because at this time, with that level of emissions, I knew that they were gone.”
According to Adams, the police discovered the man and woman inside a running vehicle in the closed garage. Both were pronounced dead at the scene.
There was no evidence of foul play, with Adams stating: “This incident is under investigation, but appears to be accidental.”
The police ordered the other residents of the building to be evacuated, with only one other person sent to the hospital for evaluation.
Johnson says he blames their deaths on carbon monoxide poisoning.
“Basically she died because of carbon monoxide,” Johnson said.
“They do not have adequate alarm systems, because if there had been an alarm in that garage, people would have been alerted to the fact that it was going on.”