The families of six women who died in an avalanche near Lake Tahoe, California, have shared an emotional statement in their memory.
Carrie Atkin, Kate Morse, Danielle Keatley, Caroline Sekar, Kate Vitt, and Liz Claubaugh were among eight people confirmed dead following the incident on February 17. One person remains missing.
Authorities said six people were rescued from the mountain after the avalanche. The group involved in the trip consisted of 11 skiers along with four guides.
Difficult weather and dangerous conditions on February 19 meant rescue teams could not immediately recover the victims’ bodies, according to the New York Post.
As messages of condolence circulated online—some describing the women as “supermoms”—their loved ones issued a tribute emphasizing who they were and what brought them together.

“We are devastated beyond words,” they said. “Our focus right now is supporting our children through this incredible tragedy and honoring the lives of these extraordinary women.
“They were all mothers, wives and friends, all of whom connected through the love of the outdoors.
“They were passionate, skilled skiers who cherished time together in the mountains.
“They lived in the Bay Area, Idaho, and the Truckee–Tahoe region.”
The statement also noted that the excursion had been carefully arranged ahead of time, and that the friends were not new to backcountry skiing.
“Eight close friends planned a professionally guided, two-night backcountry hut trip to Frog Lake Huts outside Truckee, California,” it read.
“The trip had been organized well in advance. They were experienced backcountry skiers who deeply respected the mountains.”
Family members added that professional guides were part of the trip and that the group carried avalanche safety gear.

“They were trained and prepared for backcountry travel and trusted their professional guides on this trip,” the statement explained.
“They were fully equipped with avalanche safety equipment.”
The tribute ended with a message about the grief the families are now navigating together.
Paying tribute to the women, the statement concluded: “We are heartbroken and are doing our best to care for one another and our families in the way we know these women would have wanted.”
The families added: “We are asking for privacy and space as our families grieve this sudden and profound loss.”
Loved ones also expressed deep appreciation for Nevada County Search and Rescue and the other agencies involved in the response.
They also thanked the wider Tahoe community and those beyond the area who have offered support in the wake of the tragedy.

