“Targeted” attack on Trump-Kennedy Center as ice rink drenched in “toxic chemicals”

A ‘targeted’ vandalism incident at the Trump-Kennedy Center has led to an upcoming performance being called off.

A representative for the newly renamed venue said a “toxic chemical” was poured across its ice rink. An image shared from the scene appears to show a large plastic jug left on the ice while a dark, oil-like liquid spreads outward.

White House communications deputy director Roma Daravi, who also works at the Washington, D.C. center, condemned the damage in a post on X.

“Our outdoor plaza was doused with a toxic chemical and severely damaged. We will not tolerate violence or hate at America’s cultural center.”

The vandalism comes after a turbulent year for the site formerly known as the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, originally named as a “living” tribute to the assassinated president.

After the institution’s board of trustees was dismissed and replaced with new appointees, President Trump was installed as chairman, and members voted to add his name to the high-profile cultural venue.

Following that shift, several artists opted to pull out of scheduled appearances, citing concerns about the center becoming increasingly political. The complex includes a major opera house, a concert hall, a theater, and additional smaller performance spaces.

The changes have also coincided with a steep downturn in ticket demand. The Guardian has reported sales dropping by close to 50 percent since Trump returned to office.

Earlier this month, the president said the venue would shut for two years beginning July 4, describing plans for extensive construction and a full overhaul.

“I have determined that The Trump Kennedy Center, if temporarily closed for construction, revitalisation, and complete rebuilding, can be, without question, the finest performing arts facility of its kind, anywhere in the world.”

In a statement addressing Thursday night’s incident, the center’s communications director said authorities are looking into what happened and that those responsible will be held to account.

Daravi later characterized the incident as deliberate, saying the damage to the outdoor arena was severe enough to force organizers to cancel Friday’s event while crews work to get the space operational again.

“[A] targeted attack on the Trump Kennedy Center vandalized and destroyed our outdoor arena, causing severe damage that we unfortunately must cancel [Friday’s] performance, but we are working feverishly to complete repairs so programming can resume tomorrow,”

In replies to commenters, Daravi argued coverage and criticism from “the media and democrats” had fueled hostility toward the site after Trump’s takeover. She also said a bomb threat had been reported the previous day.

Park Police told the Independent they are investigating and provided a timeline of the alleged incident.

“The center’s Special Police reported that an unidentified individual came onto the property around 11:54 p.m. Thursday and poured a substance onto the ice,”

“The USPP Major Crimes Unit is reviewing security footage and investigating. No further information is available at this time.”

Organizers have not announced when the canceled performance—scheduled to be staged by Montreal ice skating company Le Patin Libre—will be rescheduled.