MAFS UK removed from streaming platforms after brides allege they were raped by onscreen husbands

Warning: This article contains discussion of rape and sexual misconduct which some readers may find distressing.

A hugely popular dating series has been taken down from a leading UK streaming service after several former participants said they experienced rape and other forms of sexual misconduct.

Channel 4 has removed Married At First Sight UK from its on-demand platform after three former brides described incidents they say happened during filming, and raised concerns that the programme’s safeguarding measures did not adequately protect them.

The format of MAFS—pairing strangers and placing them into an immediate, marriage-like relationship—has been labelled as carrying “high levels of risk” that were “not being managed properly”, according to an investigation aired by the BBC’s Panorama.

Two former brides told the investigation they were raped while taking part in MAFS UK. A third woman alleged she experienced a non-consensual sexual act which she believes was linked to circumstances created by participating in the show.

MAFS has become a global hit since the concept first appeared on Danish television, later expanding into successful versions in countries including the UK, the US and Australia, as well as more than 20 other territories.

However, the same set-up that drives the series—newly matched couples living in close quarters and expected to develop intimacy quickly—has been cited by the women who came forward as a factor that increased vulnerability, with claims that Channel 4 and producers did not do enough to safeguard participants.

After the Panorama report aired on Monday night, Channel 4 removed all episodes of MAFS UK from its streaming service and said it had commissioned an independent review into welfare and safeguarding processes connected to the programme.

DCMS Caroline Dinenage, told BBC News that MAFS UK did ‘involve an element of risk’ and added: “It’s a TV show that almost expects and anticipates people that have only just met each other will have to become really quite intimate with each other.

“They’re expected to share a bed and a life together within minutes of meeting – it almost feels like an accident waiting to happen.”

The three women involved in the investigation described different alleged incidents involving the partners they were matched with on the show. One woman is reportedly taking legal action after alleging she was raped by her on-screen husband, who she also says later threatened her with an acid attack.

Another woman said she informed Channel 4 and the production company that she had been raped, but claimed the episodes connected to that period were still broadcast.

The third allegation described a non-consensual sexual act by an on-screen husband against the woman he was paired with, with the claimant stating she was groped while asleep.

Shona Manderson, the only victim publicly sharing her allegations, told the BBC: “I don’t think that because you’re going on reality TV, you deserve in any way for things like this to happen to you.”

Priya Dogra, Chief Executive of Channel 4 said: “I want to express my sympathy to contributors who have clearly been distressed after taking part in Married at First Sight UK. The wellbeing of our contributors is always of paramount importance.

“It would be wholly inappropriate for me to comment on what are very serious allegations made against some MAFS UK contributors. Those allegations – which I understand are disputed by the contributors accused – are not something that Channel 4 is in a position to adjudicate on.

“We are also mindful of our ongoing duty of care to all contributors, and the need to preserve the anonymity and privacy of all involved.

“On the claims that Channel 4 may have failed in its duty of care, I believe that when concerns about contributor welfare were raised, and based on the information available at the time, Channel 4 acted quickly, appropriately, sensitively and with wellbeing front and centre.

“Nevertheless, because we aspire to the highest standards of contributor welfare, I felt strongly as Channel 4’s new CEO that it was right that we look again at how we handled issues raised at the time and ask whether changes should be made to further strengthen contributor welfare.

“That’s why last month I commissioned an external review of contributor welfare on MAFS UK. That review will report to me in the coming months.

“We take these issues very seriously and are committed to ensuring that we continue to lead the industry in our duty of care for contributors.”

A spokesperson for broadcaster regulator Ofcom also issued a response, reiterating the obligations placed on channels when contributors could face harm due to participation.

“Under our rules, broadcasters are required to take due care over the welfare of people who might be at risk of significant harm as a result of taking part in a programme.”

“We note that Channel 4 has launched an external review into contributor care on MAFS UK and we await its findings,” they added. “We will review this and all other evidence made available to us.”

At present, there is no active criminal investigation linked to the allegations. Lawyers representing the husbands named in connection with the claims have denied any criminal wrongdoing.

If you’ve been affected by any of the issues in this article, you can contact The National Sexual Assault Hotline on 800.656.HOPE (4673), available 24/7. Or you can chat online via online.rainn.org