Hate speech allegedly found on weapon used by San Diego mosque shooters as chilling new details emerge

More troubling information has emerged about the San Diego mosque shooting that took place yesterday (May 18), after investigators said a weapon may have been marked with ‘hate speech’.

Authorities allege the deadly incident was carried out yesterday morning (May 18) by two teenagers. Five adults were killed at the Islamic Center of San Diego, including a security guard and father-of-eight, along with the two suspected attackers.

San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl praised the security guard’s actions during a press conference.

“It’s fair to say his actions were heroic, undoubtedly, he saved lives today.”

People who knew the guard also shared tributes online, calling him the ‘the nicest man you’ll ever meet’ as they expressed shock and grief.

Two other victims have been identified as Mansour Kaziha and Nader Awad.

Law enforcement sources speaking to the New York Post and the LA Times said one of the teens is 17-year-old Cain Clark. The second suspected shooter has not been publicly named by officials.

Police said they were already searching for the pair, aged 17 and 18, when they responded to reports of shots fired at the Islamic Center.

Officers had earlier been contacted by one suspect’s mother at 9.42am, warning that her son had left with another person. She reported they were wearing camouflage and had taken her vehicle and several weapons.

After arriving at the mosque and discovering three adult victims, police were then sent to another location, where the two suspected shooters were found dead from what investigators believe were self-inflicted gunshot wounds.

According to The New York Times, officers later found anti-Islamic writing inside the 2018 BMW SUV where the suspects were discovered, as well as the weapon believed to have been used, which reportedly had the words ‘hate speech’ written on it.

For now, investigators are treating the attack—described as the largest mosque shooting in San Diego County history—as a hate crime.

Chief Wahl said the location was central to why investigators are approaching the case as a potential hate-motivated crime.

“Because of the Islamic Center location, we are considering this a hate crime until it’s not.

“And at this point we’re going to work closely with the FBI to make sure that we are matching all the resources that we need for this investigation.”

In addition to what was reportedly found in the vehicle, CNN has said one suspect left a suicide note referencing ‘racial pride’.

The Islamic Center of San Diego includes both the Al Rashid school and the mosque. Officials said no children or teachers were injured during the attack.