A Russian official has issued a stark warning to Europe about the chances of war between NATO and Russia breaking out.
Although Ukraine is not a member of either the EU or NATO, many European governments have supported President Volodymyr Zelenskyy and Ukraine’s armed forces since Russia launched its full-scale invasion in February 2022.
As a result of those political and military ties, several European states — including the UK, Germany and Denmark — have found themselves increasingly drawn into the wider tensions surrounding the conflict.
Last month, Russia published a list of companies it claimed were providing unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) to Ukraine, warning that they were considered potential “targets”.
Addressing the issue, a statement from the Russian Ministry of Defense said: “Instead of strengthening the security of European states, the moves of European leaders are increasingly dragging these countries into the war with Russia.”

Now, Russia’s Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov has suggested that the risk to Europe — and the broader NATO-Russia relationship — is not easing.
He told TASS state news agency (per Reuters): “As a result of this escalation of tensions, including blatantly provocative actions in the nuclear sphere, strategic risks are mounting, as is the danger of a head-on clash between NATO and our country, with all the potentially catastrophic consequences that would entail.”
He also said European capitals were increasingly discussing the “looming threat of a high-intensity war” with Russia.
The comments come as Vladimir Putin has claimed the war in Ukraine is nearing its conclusion and that Russia has the upper hand.
“Victory has always been and will be ours,” he said. “The key to success is our moral strength, courage and valour, our unity and ability to endure anything and overcome any challenge.”
“I think that the matter is coming to an end,” Putin continued.
However, based on the state of current talks, a negotiated peace deal does not appear imminent.

Speaking at a UN security council meeting held today (May 19), Russia’s permanent representative Vasily Nebenzya said the negotiation process aimed at reaching a settlement is “at a dead end”, according to The Guardian. He blamed Zelenskyy, arguing that Ukraine’s leader has not called for a ceasefire or ordered forces to withdraw from areas Russia wants to control.
Nebenzya said that ‘until [Zelenskyy] realises this, achieving the goals of the special military operation will be done by the armed forces of the Russian Federation’.
He also accused European countries of encouraging Zelenskyy’s “stubbornness” and alleged that the EU wants fighting to continue between Ukraine and Russia “to inflict as much damage as possible on Russia”.
Meanwhile, Russia has also been conducting nuclear weapons drills — an action widely viewed as escalatory — though Moscow insists the activity is defensive in nature.
The drills began today and are expected to run for three days.
“From May 19 to 21, 2026, the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation are conducting an exercise on the preparation and use of nuclear forces in the event of a threat of aggression,” the defence ministry said, per Mail Online.

