FIFA has handed down multi-match suspensions and heavy fines to Argentina players and staff following the post-final brawl at the 2026 World Cup.
The governing body’s Disciplinary Committee confirmed the punishments more than a month after Spain defeated Argentina 1-0 in extra time at New York New Jersey Stadium on July 19. Midfielder Leandro Paredes, 32, received the harshest penalty, drawing a 10-match suspension and a $90,000 fine for his role in the chaotic scenes that unfolded after the final whistle.
Defender Nahuel Molina, 27, was suspended for seven matches and fined $90,000, while teammate Thiago Almada received a one-match ban and a $30,000 fine. Assistant coach Roberto Ayala was suspended for three matches and fined $30,000 for his involvement in the altercations. Spain midfielder Gavi, whose full name is Pablo MartÃn Páez Gavira, also received a one-match suspension and $30,000 fine for unsporting conduct.


FIFA confirmed the match suspensions will carry over to the respective national teams’ upcoming fixtures. The punishments stem from a disciplinary investigation opened days after the final, when footage showed heated confrontations between players and staff from both teams. Paredes was seen grabbing Spain defender Eric GarcÃa by the throat before another clash with Gavi, while Ayala appeared to hold GarcÃa around the throat and strike Dani Olmo. Molina was accused of punching Rodri as the Spain midfielder rushed past to celebrate.
Argentina manager Lionel Scaloni, 46, addressed the team’s conduct in the immediate aftermath of the defeat. “We are gracious in victory, and we must be so in defeat,” he said. “Wednesday, we are showing that we know how to lose.”


The Argentine Football Association faces separate sanctions totaling $321,000 for multiple incidents throughout the tournament. FIFA cited breaches relating to team misconduct, discrimination, racist abuse involving chants and gestures by supporters, and order and security violations across several matches. The federation must also play its next two home matches with crowds restricted to 50 percent capacity. Of the total fine, $100,000 must be invested in a plan to combat discrimination, while another $100,000 has been suspended subject to a probationary period.
Another breach concerned the politically charged banner displayed by Argentina players after their 2-1 semi-final victory over England in Atlanta on July 15. The banner read “Las Malvinas son Argentinas” — translated as “The Falklands are Argentine” — resulting in FIFA sanctioning the AFA for using a sporting event for demonstrations of a non-sporting nature. It was not the first time the message drew FIFA’s attention; the federation fined the AFA £20,000 in 2014 after a banner carrying the same slogan appeared before a friendly against Slovenia.

In the viral moment that sparked global outrage, multiple Argentina players and coaching staff became embroiled in physical altercations with Spanish counterparts moments after Spain sealed their second World Cup title. Footage circulated widely showed Paredes jabbing GarcÃa in the throat and shoving Gavi to the ground, while Molina appeared to punch Rodri during the celebrations. A red card had been briefly logged against Paredes in FIFA’s official system for the GarcÃa incident before the entry was deleted, with any sanction instead coming through the retrospective disciplinary process. The scenes prompted a furious reaction online, with Argentina’s behaviour widely described as “disgusting,” and fueled a petition calling for Argentina to be permanently banned from the World Cup that attracted more than 23 million signatures from supporters in 170 countries.
FIFA said those affected have been notified of the decisions and have 10 days to “request a motivated decision,” with the punishments still subject to appeal.

