Donald Trump’s push for a more heavily secured White House — including plans tied to his proposed 90,000 sq ft ballroom — ran into trouble after a $1 billion funding plan was knocked back on procedural grounds.
Republicans had aimed to fold $1 billion for White House-related security upgrades into a broader immigration enforcement package, arguing the money was needed for expanded protective measures linked to the ballroom project.
However, the Senate parliamentarian ruled late Saturday that the proposal was too wide-ranging to fit inside the tightly defined Republican budget bill — the type of legislation that can advance with a simple majority vote.
The decision gave Democrats an early win as the wider fight over the bill begins to escalate.
Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer claimed credit for the setback in comments to the Daily Mail.
“Republicans tried to make taxpayers foot the bill for Trump’s billion-dollar ballroom,” Schumer said Saturday evening.
“Senate Democrats fought back, and blew up their first attempt.”
Democrats “will be ready to stop them again”

Oregon Senator Jeff Merkley also criticized the idea, arguing the public should not be paying anything toward what he described as Trump’s “Louis XIV-style ballroom.”
Republicans countered that the ballroom itself would be paid for with private donations, and that the federal funding was intended strictly for security improvements — including a new visitor screening centre, more training for personnel, and added reinforcements for major events.
Ryan Wrasse, a spokesperson for Senate Majority Leader John Thune, responded on X by downplaying the snag.
“none of this is abnormal,”
“Redraft. Refine. Resubmit.”
The Secret Service request for additional funding followed an incident last month in which a man was charged with attempting to assassinate Trump at the White House Correspondents’ Association dinner.
Trump cited that shooting as part of his rationale for the ballroom initiative, writing on social media:
“This event would never have happened with the Militarily Top Secret Ballroom currently under construction at the White House. It cannot be built fast enough!”

The ballroom project has also been tied up in legal disputes. A federal judge previously issued orders halting construction, finding Trump was overstepping his authority, though an appeals court in April allowed work to continue while the case proceeds.
Despite the parliamentarian’s ruling, most of the larger budget package remains in place, including an estimated $72 billion to fund Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Customs and Border Protection through September 2029. The bill follows a 76-day government shutdown earlier this year that stemmed from a clash over ICE funding.
Republicans said Saturday night they would revise the legislation to reflect the parliamentarian’s guidance.
For now, it’s uncertain whether any version of the billion-dollar security funding can be preserved in the current package.

