Cupar, Saskatchewan resident Justin Morrice is the father of two young boys and a 10-month-old girl, Annabelle.
About two weeks ago, Annabelle almost choked to death on a snack.
Justin had given her some Gerber Lil’ Crunchies, which is something she’d eaten before.
He turned away for a few seconds and by the time he looked back, Annabelle was gasping for air. Annabelle was choking on a Lil’ Crunchies snack. Justin performed a baby chocking rescue procedure to get the snack out of her throat.
“The next thing I heard was the sweetest sound in the world… her crying,” Justin wrote. “It was longest and scariest minute of my life,” Justin shared. “When I got [the snack] out I started shaking, she was crying and the color was back in her face. I started to cry. I just held her and told her over and over I’m sorry.”
“When she woke up after and smiled I can’t even tell you what that smile meant.”
When both of them had calmed down, Justin took a closer look at the Lil’ Crunchies container and noticed something he hadn’t before.
In a small text, there was a warning that said to serve the snack within five days of opening. He opened a fresh container to compare.
“The ones in the can she choked on I can only describe to be like a foam ear plug. I could squish it but it would expand back out and would not break apart. The ones in the new can crumbled with ease.”
Justin doesn’t blame Gerber, though he did want to warn other parents. He posted the experience on Facebook and it’s been shared over 44,000 times.
Through all this, Annabelle is clearly a fighter. She was born with Down syndrome and had medical complications in the first few months of her life.
“She has been through a lot already and made it through. I thought I was going to lose my baby girl to a cheese puff.”
Thankfully, she’s now back to her smiling, playful self.
“I just want everyone who is a parent, knows someone who is, or is about to be one to just don’t get lazy. I know life is a rush most of the time. We get into routine and habit.”