Two-time NASCAR Cup Series champion Kyle Busch’s cause of death has been confirmed as sepsis, following a heartbreaking statement released by his family on Thursday (May 21).
“The medical evaluation provided to the Busch Family concluded that severe pneumonia progressed into sepsis, resulting in rapid and overwhelming associated complications,” the Busch family said. “The family asks for continued understanding and privacy during this difficult time.”
In a message shared jointly with NASCAR, the family said they are “heartbroken” as they mourn the loss of what they called “a giant of the sport.”
They went on to describe Busch as “a rare talent, one who comes along once in a generation,” adding that he “sparked a deep emotional connection with race fans of every age.”
Busch is survived by his parents, his wife Samantha Busch, and their two children, Brexton and Lennix.
“He was fierce, he was passionate, he was immensely skilled, and he cared deeply about the sport and fans,” the statement continued.
Earlier, representatives said the 41-year-old had been hospitalized on Thursday with a “severe illness,” before the cause of death was later confirmed.
The father of two was scheduled to take part in the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway in the US on Sunday (May 24). NASCAR officials told the Associated Press the race will still proceed as planned.
Reports stated that Busch sought medical help during a race at Watkins Glenn on May 10 due to a “substantial cough.” He had also secured a victory less than a week before his sudden death.
After that final win—remarks that have since taken on new significance—Busch said:
“You never know when the last one is.
“But, you know, here with the truck stuff right now, it’s awesome just to be a part of Spire Motorsports.”
This is a breaking story, more to follow.

