A homeless woman staying at Sam Brannan Park threatened to use wire cutters on any fence the city installs.
Terri Arnold, who has been staying at the 8-acre park in Yuba City, California, told KCRA 3 she is “madder than hell” about the planned Sept. 1 closure. “If they put the fence up, I got wire cutters,” she said.
The city council voted last week to temporarily shut down the park to complete security upgrades including cameras, lighting, fencing and electronic gate access. The council approved $265,000 for the project.

In recent years, the park has faced problems including drug use, assaults, vandalism and domestic violence, according to city officials. The park has recorded one of the city’s highest volumes of police service calls over the past three years, with nearly 150 calls during the first five months of this year alone.
Located off Gray Avenue next to Gray Avenue Middle School, the park is one of Yuba City’s largest and oldest parks. It features playgrounds, open grassy areas, picnic and barbecue areas, lighted tennis and pickleball courts, swimming and wading pools, and a waterwise demonstration garden.
“The city wants to recapture its very old and very valued Sam Brannan Park. And this is just a step in the process. It’s temporary,” Yuba City Mayor Marc Boomgaarden said during a City Council meeting. “And I think when it’s all said and done, we’ll have our park back and people will be able to go to the park. Plus, we’re going to get a dog park.”
“I’ve seen ambulances and the fire department come here and people have to get resuscitated, and it’s something that should not be going on at a children’s park,” frequent park-goer Karisa Davis told the Sacramento-based station.
“It’s so many elements of that park that we want to make better, but ultimately we’re doing it for the public and specifically the kids that are going to school right next door,” Yuba City City Manager Robert Bendorf said.
The park is named after California pioneer and Yuba City founder Sam Brannan.
In the viral moment that sparked broader attention, Arnold’s defiant quote about wire cutters circulated across news outlets and social media, crystallizing the tension between homeless residents who have made the park their home and city officials determined to reclaim the space for public recreation. The confrontation highlights a growing challenge in communities across California and the nation, where encampments in public spaces have become increasingly common while residents and officials push for cleaner, safer parks.
The closure comes as Yuba City grapples with how to address homelessness while maintaining public spaces for families and children. The park’s proximity to Gray Avenue Middle School has made safety concerns particularly acute for parents and school officials.
The security upgrades are scheduled to begin Sept. 1.

