Police Mistakenly Report Missing Teen Hiker Lily Hooper Alive Before Tragic Discovery

NSW Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon has issued an unreserved apology to the family of Lily Hooper after officers mistakenly told them the missing teen had been found alive.

Lanyon, 58, addressed the media on Wednesday, August 20, following the devastating discovery of the 18-year-old’s body in the Nattai National Park area of the Southern Highlands. The teenager had been missing for eight days after setting out on a solo hike on August 12.

The commissioner acknowledged the cruel blow delivered to Hooper’s parents, who reportedly believed their daughter was safe for between eight and ten minutes before receiving the corrected information. “I unreservedly apologise to Lily’s family for the distress caused by the miscommunication,” Lanyon stated during the press conference.

Assistant Police Commissioner Joseph Cassar, who also fronted the media, struggled to explain how the erroneous report reached the family. He noted that there is “no playbook for communication” in such complex search operations.

“I can tell you the police that was in charge at the time that spoke to Lily’s mum and dad certainly hoped for a more positive outcome,” Cassar said. “If we are able to provide them more detailed information on that first report, I can tell you that would have been the case.”

He continued: “But unfortunately, it did take that small period of time for us to give them an update.”

Cassar defended the broader handling of the search, which involved hundreds of trained volunteers scouring difficult terrain. “When we talk about a very short window in information being provided, no I don’t believe we’ve jumped the gun,” he added.

NSW Premier Chris Minns, 45, delivered the grim confirmation shortly before the police clarification. “I have got some terrible news. It seems as if the earlier advice was wrong,” Minns said at the press conference.

“Lily’s body has been found. She’d been found deceased. This is obviously devastating, and I’m profoundly sad for her family and for all those concerned. I apologise.”

Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese, 62, also paid tribute to the teenager in a written statement. He described her death as an “unspeakable tragedy” and noted that the 18-year-old had “much more to offer the world.”

“Her passing, I have no doubt, will be felt very deeply across the southern highlands, among her family, her friends, and indeed right across the nation,” Albanese wrote.

In the viral moment that preceded the tragedy, NSW Police had posted on social media that Hooper had been “found alive” following the extensive search operation. The post spread rapidly online before being deleted and corrected within minutes. The force then issued a follow-up statement explaining that the “earlier advice was wrong,” triggering widespread outrage over the handling of sensitive information during an active investigation.

The code word system used by search teams reportedly contributed to the confusion, with one outlet noting that a “bottle of water” signal intended to indicate a discovery was misinterpreted by those not directly involved in the operation.

Hooper had left her home on August 12 for what was intended as a hike through the remote Nattai park area. The rugged bushland and mountainous terrain complicated search efforts over the eight-day operation, which drew significant volunteer support from across the region.

Lanyon’s apology came as questions mounted about police communication protocols during major incidents, with the commissioner pledging to review procedures to prevent similar errors.

Share this story