Tour guide company speaks out amid search for nine skiers missing after avalanche

The company responsible for organizing a skiing trip for a group currently missing near Lake Tahoe has released a statement.

On February 17, an avalanche struck a group of 15 skiers. Six individuals have been confirmed safe, but nine are still missing as rescue efforts continue.

The challenging weather conditions and risk of additional avalanches have complicated the rescue mission.

Blackbird Mountain Guides, the company that arranged the trip, detailed that the group consisted of 11 clients and four guides.

According to their statement, the group was returning at the conclusion of their tour when the avalanche occurred.

“Blackbird Mountain Guides is currently responding to a serious backcountry incident involving an avalanche that occurred this morning, February 17, near the Frog Lake huts in the Castle Peak area,” stated the company.

“A total of 11 clients and four guides had been staying at the Frog Lake huts since February 15. The group was in the process of returning to the trailhead at the conclusion of a three-day trip when the incident occurred.”

“The leadership team at Blackbird Mountain Guides is working in full coordination with the Nevada County Sheriff’s Office and Nevada County Search and Rescue to support the ongoing rescue operation.

“Blackbird Mountain Guides is in direct contact with the emergency contacts of the affected clients and guides and is providing them with regular updates as verified information becomes available.”

Of the six individuals rescued, two were hospitalized for treatment, as confirmed by Ashley Quadros, spokesperson for the Nevada County Sheriff’s Office.

California has been facing severe weather, with storms bringing thunder, snow, and powerful winds to the area.

According to experts, conditions in the backcountry are particularly dangerous. Brandon Schwartz, lead avalanche forecaster for the Tahoe National Forest at the Sierra Avalanche Center, told Sky News, “It’s particularly dangerous in the backcountry right now, just because we’re at the height of the storm.”

An avalanche warning was issued for the Central Sierra Nevada region starting at 5am on Tuesday.

“The Sierra Avalanche Center previously issued an avalanche warning for today, Feb. 17, which has been in effect since 5am today through Feb. 18 at 5am, stating: ‘HIGH avalanche danger exists in the backcountry,’ the Nevada County Sheriff’s Department said.

“Large avalanches are expected to occur Tuesday, Tuesday night, and into at least early Wednesday morning across backcountry terrain. HIGH avalanche danger might continue through the day on Wednesday.”