Garda Commissioner Justin Kelly has spoken out about a fatal wrong-way motorway crash, linking the deadly trend to social media stunts.
The five teenage males who died were all in one car travelling along the M9 in Co Kildare at around 3am on Sunday (16 August), gardaĆ said. Four occupants of the other vehicle, including a child, remain in hospital with serious injuries. The collision occurred between Junction 3 and Junction 4 near Athy.

A gardaĆ spokesperson confirmed the bodies of five teenage males were recovered from the scene and taken to Naas General Hospital for post-mortem examinations. The occupants of the second vehicle include three women, two aged in their 30s and one in her 20s, plus a male child, all receiving treatment for serious injuries.
Forensic collision investigators have completed their examination of the scene. Family liaison officers have been appointed to relatives of occupants of both vehicles. GardaĆ are appealing for witnesses and dashcam footage from road users on the M9 northbound or southbound between 2am and 3am on Sunday.

“My thoughts are with those injured in this morning’s collision on the M9,” he said.
“These family members were travelling innocently when they were struck by a vehicle being driven the wrong way down the motorway.”
Kelly continued: “This horrific incident, following the recent collision on the M50, shows how irresponsible and dangerous driving on the wrong side of the motorway is.”
“That, of course, should be self-evident, but what makes this reckless behaviour even more appalling is that in some cases it is being done for social media likes regardless of the potentially devastating impact it might have on innocent people and themselves.”
The Commissioner noted the incident has been referred to FiosrĆŗ, the Police Ombudsman, constraining what he could say in detail. “As this particular incident has been referred to FiosrĆŗ, the Police Ombudsman, I am constrained in what I can say in detail about this incident, but I know that gardaĆ do what they can to stop such vehicles while also taking into consideration all other road users,” he stated.
“GardaĆ are put in a really challenging situation dealing with such incidents,” Kelly added. “As always, An Garda SĆochĆ”na will fully co-operate with the Police Ombudsman investigation which I hope is completed as expeditiously as possible.”
The Commissioner also expressed support for emergency responders: “My thoughts are also with all members of An Garda SĆochĆ”na and the emergency services who had to deal with this awful incident this morning.”
“Such incidents show the difficult work we ask our gardaĆ to undertake every day to keep our communities safe,” he shared.
FiosrĆŗ, the Office of the Police Ombudsman, has been notified and launched an independent investigation. A statement from the watchdog explained: “The referral was made following a fatal road traffic incident on the M9.”
“One of FiosrĆŗ’s on-call team of investigators attended the scene and its independent investigation is ongoing,” the statement continued.
“In line with its statutory remit, FiosrĆŗ’s investigation relates to incidents involving contact with gardaĆ where a member of the public has died or been seriously injured,” the office added.
The statement clarified: “A referral does not necessarily mean a garda or gardaĆ have been accused of wrongdoing. Instead, it means that FiosrĆŗ should independently investigate the incident to ascertain whether or not the act or omission of a garda or gardaĆ may have resulted in the death of, or serious harm to, a person.”
“As the matter is now under investigation, pursuant to section 208(1)(b) of the Policing, Security and Community Safety Act 2024, FiosrĆŗ cannot make any further comment,” the office concluded.
In the viral moment that preceded this tragedy, the BMW carrying the five teenagers had earlier failed to stop for gardaĆ and was driven onto the motorway on the wrong side, with officers immediately told to stand down from engaging with the vehicle. The car then travelled southbound on the northbound carriageway before the head-on collision with the Hyundai carrying the family. The occupants of the Hyundai, understood to be making their way to Dublin Airport, included two women in their 30s in critical condition at Tallaght University Hospital, a woman in her 20s with serious injuries at St Luke’s General Hospital Kilkenny, and a seven-year-old girl being treated at Children’s Health Ireland Crumlin.
The M9 motorway remains closed in both directions between Junction 3 and Junction 4 while investigations continue.

