Nicola Coughlan has confirmed her fan-favorite Bridgerton character will take a backseat in Season 5.
Coughlan, 39, revealed the reduced screen time during an appearance on the Dish Podcast on April 29, telling listeners that production on the upcoming season was already underway and her involvement would be minimal. “I won’t be in it very much,” the Irish actress said plainly, adding that the arrangement suits her just fine. “I have it so good now ’cause I come in for a few days,” she continued, “and I’m like, ‘Yay! How is everyone? I’ll see you in two months. Bye!’ They’re working super super hard and I’m just like coming back. It’s lovely.”


The scaled-back presence marks a sharp contrast from Coughlan’s recent workload. She led Season 3 alongside Luke Newton, 31, as their characters’ friends-to-lovers arc culminated in marriage, then returned for substantial screen time in Season 4 as Penelope grappled with the fallout of her Lady Whistledown secret being exposed. That season ended with Penelope formally relinquishing the gossip pamphlet and a mysterious new author picking up the pen — a mystery showrunner Jess Brownell has confirmed will not be solved in Season 5.
Coughlan previously addressed the transition in an E! News interview published Tuesday, calling the shift “bittersweet.” “I feel like, God, I had such an epic run,” she told the outlet. “I think that’s part of the beauty of that world is it keeps reinventing itself. Every season being a new story — it takes on a different guise.” She also admitted to being kept in the dark about the new Lady Whistledown’s identity, explaining that her own loose lips led to the exclusion. “I told everyone and said I was her,” she said of her past secret-keeping failures. “So they know not to tell me. But I genuinely have no clue and it’s quite nice not to know. I don’t need to know.”
The move fits Bridgerton’s established anthology structure, which rotates focus among the Bridgerton siblings each season. Coughlan herself framed the reduced role as necessary for the show’s longevity. “I think in a way, it’s great because it’s a show that keeps reinventing itself,” she explained on the Dish Podcast. “Same thing — you have to hold on tightly, let go lightly. Like I loved leading that show, it’s amazing but it’s exhausting — it was so much work. You don’t really have a life when you’re doing it, which I was sort of fine with. It’s about eight months of filming, and then it was like six months of promotion around it. It was amazing, but I’ve taken everything out of that that I could possibly want.”
Season 5 shifts focus to Francesca Bridgerton, played by Hannah Dodd, 26, and her burgeoning romance with Michaela Stirling, portrayed by Masali Baduza. The storyline follows Francesca’s reentry into society two years after her husband Lord John Stirling’s death, with John’s cousin Michaela returning to London to tend to the Kilmartin estate. Netflix announced in April that three new guest stars — Tega Alexander, Jacqueline Boatswain, and Gemma Knight Jones — have joined to support that central narrative.
In the viral moment that established this pattern, Regé-Jean Page departed entirely after Season 1 as Simon Basset, and Phoebe Dynevor, 30, stepped back significantly following Daphne’s central arc. Simone Ashley, 30, and Jonathan Bailey, 37, who led Season 2 as Kate and Anthony, have since appeared in diminished capacity — most recently making brief cameos as new parents in Season 4. Coughlan made clear she remains open to future appearances. “I’m always happy to come back. I think it’s a genuinely lovely job to come back to,” she shared.
Netflix has not announced a release date for Bridgerton Season 5.

