Barry Manilow Cancels More Concerts at the Last Minute as Fans Pray for Him After Lung Cancer Battle

Barry Manilow has canceled additional Las Vegas residency shows, citing ongoing health struggles following his lung cancer surgery.

The “Copacabana” singer, 83, announced on Instagram Friday that both that evening’s and Saturday’s performances at the Westgate Las Vegas Resort & Casino were being pulled from his “The Hits Come Home!” Residency. The double cancellation came just weeks after he abruptly called off a concert in Lexington, Kentucky, minutes before he was scheduled to take the stage at Rupp Arena on August 4.

“We’ve very sorry, but we have to cancel tonight and tomorrow’s performances,” the Las Vegas statement read. “Due to technical and vocal problems, we’re unable to put on our show.” Ticket holders were assured in the comments that they would automatically receive refunds.

Barry Manilow cancels more concerts at last minute as fans pray for him after lung cancer battle

Most fans responding to the post sent well wishes rather than complaints, with Broadway star Audra McDonald among those offering support. “Feel better, Barry!” She wrote in the comments.

Barry Manilow cancels more concerts at last minute as fans pray for him after lung cancer battle

The back-to-back Las Vegas cancellations marked the second time in roughly one month that Manilow had pulled a show at the last minute. The Lexington concert, which had already been postponed once from its original March 9 date, was called off about 30 minutes before showtime with a message posted to X. “Due to unforeseen circumstances tonight’s show in Lexington has been rescheduled,” Manilow wrote. Rupp Arena confirmed that tickets for the original show would be honored at the new date, which has yet to be announced.

Barry Manilow cancels more concerts at last minute as fans pray for him after lung cancer battle

The recent string of cancellations traces back to December 2025, when Manilow revealed on Instagram that doctors had discovered a cancerous spot on his left lung during an MRI. The scan came after he had battled through six weeks of bronchitis followed by a relapse of another five weeks. “It’s pure luck (and a great doctor) that it was found so early,” Manilow wrote at the time. “That’s the good news. The doctors do not believe it has spread, and I’m taking tests to confirm their diagnosis. So, that’s it. No chemo. No radiation. Just chicken soup and I Love Lucy reruns.”

Barry Manilow cancels more concerts at last minute as fans pray for him after lung cancer battle
Barry Manilow cancels more concerts at last minute as fans pray for him after lung cancer battle

The diagnosis led to surgery to remove the diseased portion of his lung, followed by a difficult recovery that included a week in the ICU battling pneumonia. In a June interview with ABC News’ “Good Morning America,” Manilow opened up about his fears that his voice might never return. “My voice — I don’t know whether it’s coming back,” he said. “I did my first sound check about a month ago and I didn’t sound like me at all. I just couldn’t believe that it’s over. That is really upsetting. Because I don’t want it to stop.”

Barry Manilow cancels more concerts at last minute as fans pray for him after lung cancer battle

In February, Manilow shared a “very depressing visit” with his surgeon in an Instagram post, recounting how he had been using the treadmill three times daily but still could not sing more than three songs in a row. “He shook his head. He looked at me and then he looked at the floor,” Manilow wrote. “‘What?’ I said. He said, ‘Barry, you won’t be ready to do a 90 minute show. Your lungs aren’t ready yet. You’re in great shape considering what you’ve been through, but your body isn’t ready. You shouldn’t do the first Arena shows. You won’t make it through.'”

Barry Manilow cancels more concerts at last minute as fans pray for him after lung cancer battle

Despite the setbacks, Manilow has continued to push forward with performances when able. He performed in Columbus, Ohio, on August 2, apparently without issue, in a 90-minute show that included an opening-number shuffle with backup singers across the stage. He also scored a top 10 hit on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart in March with “Once Before I Go,” making him the only artist to ever score an Adult Contemporary hit in six consecutive decades.

In the viral moment that sparked ongoing concern for his wellbeing, Manilow’s December 2025 cancer revelation came after what he described as a precautionary MRI ordered by his doctor following his prolonged bronchitis battle. The early-stage tumor was successfully removed, but his recovery took longer than anticipated. “There was a couple of moments there that I thought this may be goodbye,” he said of his ICU stay for pneumonia. “But these people at this hospital, they were just angels, saints. I could cry so hard every time I think about these nurses and doctors.”

Barry Manilow cancels more concerts at last minute as fans pray for him after lung cancer battle

Manilow is scheduled to perform in Cincinnati on Wednesday.

Share this story