Breakups are never easy. But there are a few things you can do to help the healing process. Once you have had some time to mourn the end of your relationship, it’s time to start getting over your ex.
Here are 12 steps to help you move on:
1. Accept that the relationship is over. This may be the hardest step, but it’s necessary. If you keep hoping for things to go back to the way they were, then you will never be able to move on.
2. Realize it wasn’t all bad. There is no such thing as a perfect relationship and every relationship has its ups and downs. You got through those rough patches before, so you can do it again now that the two of you are apart.
3. Find a new hobby. Maybe you and your ex didn’t have a ton in common or maybe there’s something that you really enjoyed doing together. Find another activity to replace it with.
4. Go out with your friends more often. Surrounding yourself with people who love and support you is one of the best ways to get over someone.
5. Cut all ties with your ex. This includes deleting them from social media, no longer texting or talking to them, and removing any pictures of the two of you from your home.
6. Get rid of anything that reminds you of your ex. If your ex’s favorite mug is still sitting in your cupboard, it’s time to say goodbye.
7. Get rid of anything that reminds you of your relationship, such as gifts or photos together. Yes, it’s hard to part with these things but they may be holding you back from moving forward and dating other people.
8. Remember that this was not “your fault”. Your ex broke up with you for a reason and you need to stop blaming yourself for it.
9. Be angry. You have a right to be angry because your ex hurt you so give yourself permission to feel angry about the breakup. Feelings of anger can actually help motivate you to move on with your life.
10. Use “I” statements to communicate your feelings instead of “you” statements. For example, “I feel really sad when I think about us breaking up” instead of “You made me so sad when you broke up with me.”
11. Don’t try to be friends with your ex. Chances are high that this will not work out and you will only be left feeling more hurt in the end.
12. Finally, give yourself time. It takes time to get over someone you loved and cared for deeply. Be patient with yourself and eventually the pain will lessen.
Moving on from a relationship can be difficult but it’s possible to do. By following these 12 steps, you can start to heal your broken heart and move on with your life.
If you are still having a difficult time getting over your ex, it may be helpful to seek out professional help. A therapist can assist you in exploring the emotions that you are experiencing and provide guidance on how to move forward. You don’t have to go through this difficult time alone.